Q: What should I do if my toilet is clogged?

A: No paper products other than toilet paper should be flushed down the toilet. You should never put feminine products or other foreign objects down the toilet. Before you call a drain company, be sure to plunge the toilet and try to unplug the clog. If your toilet is overflowing with water, or if you notice water around the base of the toilet, turn off the water valve at the bottom, rear of the toilet. Wipe up excess water. This will help prevent any further water damage to your bathroom floor.

Q: What should I do if my sinks are clogged?

A: Please do not use Drain-O or other caustic cleaners to unclog your drains. These products are harmful to both plumbing and technicians servicing your drains. First try to clean out the drain and if the clog does not lessen, call a drain company.

Q: What should I do if my garbage disposal stops working?

A: If the disposal jams, turn off the power and clean out the disposal as much as possible. Do not put your hand down the drain. Many times there is an orange/red button on the disposal under the sink. Push it. Turn the water on and try running the disposal again. Be careful with bottle caps and silverware. These items can seriously damage a disposal and as a result become a costly repair for you. If this doesn’t work, please call our office for repair service.

Q: What should I do if my outlets stop working?

A: Be careful not to overload the electrical breakers. Most household outlets will only supply a reasonable number of appliances at one time. If your outlets stop working check your breaker box and your GFCI’s, which are typically located in the kitchen, bathroom and garage.

Q: Where can I find my breaker box and how do I re-set the breakers?

A: Your circuit breaker box may be located in the laundry room, basement or utility closet. Keep a flashlight handy in case your electricity goes out. If the power goes out, you may have tripped the breaker. THIS CAN HAPPEN IF YOU OVERLOAD THE CIRCUIT. Open the breaker box and locate the switch that indicates “OFF”. This switch needs to be flipped to the “ON” position. If none of the switches are off, start flipping each switch, one at a time. If this fails to turn your electricity back on, contact NorthWestern Energy at 1-888-467-2669.

Q: What should I do if my fridge is not working?

A: Make sure it is plugged in, reset your GFCI and be sure to keep the door tightly closed to prevent spoilage. You can also put a block of ice in the fridge to keep items cold until a repair can be made. Call a local Appliance Repair company.

Q: What should I do if my heat is not working?

A: Check your thermostat settings to be sure you have the temperature set correctly (68 degrees) and on auto, not fan. Also, check windows to make sure they are completely shut. You can contact NorthWestern Energy at 1-888-467-2669 to have them relight your pilot.